Sunday, September 12, 2010

Swedish lapland

A few days in the back-country of the northern Scandinavian mountains near the town of Abisko, Sweden.


A Swedish couple were the only people I saw in passing for three days

Only a compass and topo map as a guide




Campsite by night- the streaks are stars with the rotation of the earth

View taken from my sleeping bag through the screen of my tent


shed reindeer antlers


Reindeer




Having made it back to the mountain station at abisko, I took a much needed shower and in good swedish fashion, went to the sauna. I was greeted by in the sauna by an elder German who was hiking with a friend who has been coming to this area for 25 consecutive years. Within recent years she has become blind. During hikes she still enjoys hearing her friend describe the sights as she recalls her memories.

1 comment: