Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chhath Puja (Hindu Sun Festival)

     After my day spent crossing the Bangladesh-Indian border I made my way across the Bramaputra to Dhubri, Assam, India. To my surprise, from a distance the Riverbank was pulsing with color and sound. I had serendipitously timed my arrival to India for the Hindu festival of Chhat Puja (sun prayer). Walking into town I was being passed by men with baskets full of offerings to be placed on the riverbank until morning.

            I was awoken well before sunrise by the beat of drums but otherwise silence. Exiting my hotel I joined throngs of Hindus solemnly following the drummers to the riverbank where the atmosphere became cheerful with free chai being passed out and music blaring over loudspeakers.

            The festival culminates at sunrise when baskets of fruit and floating candles are offered to the god of sun by dipping them in the river.
 

My Surly Long Haul Trucker Crossing the Brahmaputra River









Myself and a friend I met at the festival at a Sikh temple

No comments:

Post a Comment